D-Wave in the present day introduced the overall availability of D-Wave Hybrid, its open supply hybrid workflow platform for constructing and operating quantum-classical hybrid purposes. You possibly can obtain D-Wave Hybrid, which is a part of the corporate’s Ocean SDK, from GitHub.
Binary digits (bits) are the essential models of knowledge in classical computing, whereas quantum bits (qubits) make up quantum computing. Bits are at all times in a state of zero or 1, whereas qubits may be in a state of zero, 1, or a superposition of the 2. Quantum computing leverages qubits to carry out computations that may be far more tough for a classical pc. Hybrid computing lets classical and quantum methods be utilized in parallel. (D-Wave’s quantum computer systems use quantum annealing.)
D-Wave first launched Hybrid as a developer preview in December. The framework helps builders achieve perception into system efficiency, optimize code throughout methods, and extra simply develop quantum hybrid purposes. It consists of:
- Hybrid workflow management: Growth of hybrid purposes that may run throughout classical, the D-Wave 2000Q, and future quantum methods.
- Modular method: Logic to simplify distribution of classical and quantum duties. Builders can interrupt and synchronize throughout the methods and draw most computing energy out of every.
- Drawback deconstruction: Break down massive issues which can be greater than the quantum processing unit (QPU) into elements.
- Acquainted coding atmosphere: Python-based framework and documentation consists of examples for getting began with out data of quantum mechanics.
- Flexibility: Instance hybrid workflows, permitting builders to discover which workflows are greatest for the issue they’re fixing.
- Actual-time entry to D-Wave 2000Q and Quantum Software Atmosphere (QAE) assets, together with studying instruments, neighborhood, and technical boards.
“Previous to the overall availability of D-Wave Hybrid, constructing hybrid algorithms was far more ‘from scratch’ by every person,” Murray Thom, D-Wave’s VP of software program and cloud companies, instructed VentureBeat. “With in the present day’s Hybrid availability, we’ve supplied an on-board for builders to extra shortly get began prototyping their hybrid purposes.”
D-Wave in the present day additionally laid out its software program technique transferring ahead: to construct and optimize for hybrid in the present day. “Three Truths and the Introduction of Hybrid Quantum Computing” particulars how builders, researchers, and forward-thinking companies can remedy complicated issues utilizing each classical and quantum methods.
D-Wave desires to supply a hybrid platform that lets builders leverage essentially the most acceptable computing assets for every a part of their software, with out worrying in regards to the dimension and topology of the QPU. The hybrid platform additionally supplies the pliability for builders to experiment with totally different methods for hybridizing their purposes.
D-Wave additionally argues that its prospects don’t care which system is operating within the background. All that issues is that the answer is more practical and extra environment friendly.
Briefly, D-Wave believes that quantum computing will at all times require classical methods. The hope is that pushing for hybrid will speed up the progress of quantum computer systems as connectivity and dimension will increase, whereas noise decreases. In February, D-Wave previewed its next-generation quantum computing platform, coming in 2020.